Posted by: Rehan Today | March 12, 2010

Lahore under Attack – 8 Blasts in 12 hours

Devastation in result of twin blast before the Friday Prayer.
Blast in a car in the Iqbal town at night outside the house of Group Captain of Pak Air Force.

Pakistan’s security officials and investigator gather near an army truck damaged by suicide bombing.

Pakistani security personnel cordon off the scene of a suicide bomb.

Pakistani army soldiers cordon off the area of bombing in Lahore.

An injured Pakistani soldier lies inside an ambulance as he is evacuated from the scene.

A policeman holds back a man weeping for his father at the site.
———————————————————————————————-
Lahore Bomb Blasts
———————————————————————————————-

LAHORE: Six back-to-back blasts of low intensity happened in Iqbal Town of Lahore within the last 90 minutes, triggering panic and fear among the citizens. At least 39 people were killed and 95 others wounded on Friday after two suicide bombers struck the vehicles of Garrison Security Force near R A Bazaar in Lahore.

The blasts were caused by hand grenades hurled in different locations of Iqbal Town by a suspected person riding a motorbike, police sources said.

According to details, the first blast occurred in an empty plot near crowded Moon Market in Kashmir Block; the second blast hit a car parked outside a house; the third blast occurred near Edhi Center in Kashmir Block located in Iqbal Town; the fourth blast struck outside the residence of a serving DSP again in Iqbal Town and; the fifth and the last blast ripped through Karim Block.

No causalities were reported in these attacks. However, four people were injured.

It may be reminded here that dozens of people were killed in two blasts at Moon Market on December 7 last year.

Earlier, at least 39 people were killed when two suicide bombers blew themselves up in R A Market near security forces’ convoy.

The heads of both alleged bombers were recovered from the scene of the blasts while two suspects were also arrested, the Inspector General of Punjab Tariq Salim Dogar told reporters after the blasts.

The IGP also confirmed the death toll.

Meanwhile, the proscribed Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) has claimed the responsibility for twin Lahore bombings.

The blasts took place at 12:48 pm within the space of 15 seconds at R A Bazar as crowds gathered for Friday prayers. The blasts were so powerful that it caused cracks in nearby buildings besides shattering window panes.

“We have collected concrete technical evidence, which will help identify the attackers. Both the attackers were on foot,” the IGP said.

Five security men were dead and 15 others were wounded in the bombings, sources cloe to security agencies said.

Rescue workers and paramedics rushed to the R A Bazaar, a densely populated area of the city.

The area was crowded as the blasts occurred shortly before the main Friday prayers were to start. Emergency was immediately declared in city hospitals, where dead and injured were shifted.

Overall eight blasts have taken place in Lahore within 12 hours, killing at least 40 people, including security men, and injuring about 100 others.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: