Posted by: Rehan Today | March 16, 2010

Military to end South Waziristan operation


ISLAMABAD: Military leadership told political leaders on Monday that major targets in the South Waziristan operation had been achieved and therefore the military would be formally ending its operation on March 30 and handing over control to the civil administration.

The decision was taken at a high level meeting held at the presidency chaired by President Asif Ali Zardari and attended by the Governor and Chief Minister of NWFP, Interior and Law Ministers, Army Chief General Ashfaq Kayani and other senior intelligence officials.

The meeting reviewed the progress made in investigations, prosecution and trials of those involved in acts of terrorism in the tribal areas, Swat, Malakand and the rest of the NWFP.

General Kayani said that the civil administration should make itself ready to take over 4,000 high profile militants and terrorists captured during various operations for their trial in the court of law.

He also stated that the military’s exit strategy from South Waziristan was ready and it would be winding up the operation in South Waziristan but military presence would remain there to deal with any eventuality.

Additional Chief Secretary Frontier Fayyaz Ahmed Toro gave a detailed presentation on the progress made so far in the investigation, prosecution and trial of the some of the detainees.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: